Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hacked!

Yesterday my Facebook and e-mail accounts were hijacked. Today I am feeling violated and vulnerable. I do not like feeling this way. I've become so dependent on technology and social networking to communicate--now I am feeling isolated and cut off from my world.

It is a bit ironic that I feel safe enough to blog about what I am feeling. Although this is a public venue--since no one responds to my posts it seems like I am talking to myself so for now this remains a 'safe' corner of my cyber world. On a personal note, if anyone out there is reading this I would appreciate hearing from you--right now I am sorely in need of human contact.

My nature is to be open and trusting--this makes me feel the need to be more cautious and put up walls to protect myself. I will have to work hard to make sure that I do not allow this experience to change me. As I write that I realize that it sounds overly dramatic however, I am very serious. There is a great line from Winnie the Pooh: "You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes." I realized that I had spent far too long limiting myself to my corner of the forest--the Internet has served as the perfect tool that allows me to step out and explore the forest. Will I now allow fear to send me running back to my safe den for security or will I be able to learn from this experience then brush it off so I can continue to reach out to others? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment