Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Birds on a Wire

The first Monday of every month is the UMT challenge. (UMT = Use My Tangle). This week's challenge is to use a new tangle developed by Mary Kissel, CZT. The pattern, Birds on a Wire, is deceptively simple.

I spent Monday just practicing the strokes trying to get comfortable with the pattern. Tuesday I started incorporating the pattern into tiles using a variety of strings. Nothing was coming together for me. I need to come up with a system for pairing the various tangles, some work very well side-by-side; other, not so much. I never really came up with a combination that was pleasing to my eye. I know that there aren't supposed to be any mistakes with Zentangle, but I have to tell you that what I ended up with was just a hot mess. :-)

One bit of success I did have was with a little shading and color. For some reason, this challenge just cried out for color. Having learned my lesson from last week I stuck to colored pencils--I think colored pencils allow for a lighter hand so the color complements the patterns.

The best part of the weekly challenge is seeing the many different interpretations posted by everyone else that plays along. Several of the other tanglers saw swans in their ZIA. I saw flamingos.

September 10, 2013 UPDATE

I never was satisfied with my results using this tangle. Here is one of my efforts.


No comments:

Post a Comment